Thursday, April 12, 2012

All Natural

A few weeks ago, Bill needed to cut down a few trees on our property that were dying. One of the trees that he cut down was a birch tree. While he was cutting up the pieces, he asked me if I wanted him to keep any of the wood. That man knows me too well! 


I decided to use some of the pieces of the birch tree to make some outdoor candle holders. Bill cut them down to size and then used a 1 inch bit to drill holes in them.

He made 4 that will stand up and then cut one log down the middle the long way. After he was done drilling, I sanded the tops and holes and then sprayed them with a coat of outdoor sealer. Hopefully this will keep them in good shape.


I wish the weather were nicer out today so I could get a few pictures with the sun out, but no such luck. Here they are with the votive candles in them.


Again, ignore the shape of the table. We certainly need to do something to spruce up all of the outdoor furniture. I like this view too because you can see the grain of the wood.


Here's the long one. I picture it going on the outdoor dining table when we have barbecues or guests over the summer.


Ignore Simon's behind in the background! Since we recycled the wood and already had all of the tools, this was another free project. It's amazing how many free things you can do and make with stuff you already have. Do you have any good projects that you've completed with recycled materials? I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks for reading,
Kathleen

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic Kathleen and Bill! I've been wondering when he was going to show up on your blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! I love these. The funny thing is I'd probably pay way too much for something like that at Bed Bath and Beyond or something. Just goes to show. My Mom used to do crafts like this and you'd think I would know better. Somehow I just got away from doing these things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! We have property in Grafton and this winter we lost many birch trees. This gives me a wonderful idea what to do with them. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I love these candleholders. What a great project!

    ReplyDelete

I really love hearing your feedback! Its a great feeling to get a comment and realize that people are actually reading this blog. Thanks for taking the time :)